Wednesday 15 April 2015

The Konjac Sponge Company: Kojac Bamboo Charcoal and Konjac French Green Clay Facial Puff Sponges


When I think about a sponge - as I'm often one to do - I generally think of a dry, gritty collection of fibres and definitely not a gelatinous, cushion of springy jelly. Welcome, Konjac!


Konjac is actually an edible plant, known for its effects in levelling cholesterol, controlling weight loss and internal restoration. (+) But, when you don't ingest it and you just rub it around your face a little, it actually has some neat properties too! Primarily, konjac is used to balanced the skin's natural pH levels. It is also packed in minerals and antioxidants to help keep skin healthy. Combine that with bamboo charcoal and you have yourself  a product rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties to help remove excess oil and toxins. Like I said, neat!

I really can't get enough of these sponges. It is the most clean I have ever felt.

I started with the Konjac Bamboo Charcoal sponge which was the ultimate introductory sponge for me. This product targets excess oils, blackheads and acne. While I did not notice any significant reduction to excess oils, blackheads or acne, I did notice that my face was delightfully clean and purified. 


While the sponge's surface is rough and uneven, it is incredibly soft on skin. This microsurface noise helps to gently exfoliate skin, offering a deep cleanse.

This is where I found the key difference between the Konjac Bamboo Charcoal and the Konjac French Green Clay. The Bamboo Charcoal is ever-so-slightly rougher than the French Green Clay. Slightly. But both of them are beautiful to use, and offer that ultimate clean and real feeling without any negative or damaging results.

After 2 months of use, my Bamboo Charcoal finally saw the last of its days. As the sponges age, they will inevitably decay: their size will shrink, they will sag and their holes will expand. This is where I moved onto the French Green Clay which has fairly similar and effective results.


The French Green Clay is catered more for the needs of oily skin. As it's softer than the Bamboo Charcoal, it offers a gentler level of exfoliation, meaning it is in no way abrasive or stripping of the skins natural defences and pH level. It also helps to unclog pores - now this, this I did notice a difference in. I found my skin was a lot clearer when using the French Green Clay, probably due to it being more suitable for my skin type.


I use this once daily in the morning to help remove all traces of my overnight facial oils. I also like to use it to help remove face masks as it can really pick up product and clear it away.
The sponges have a lovely buoyancy to them, which will last with proper maintenance. Once dry, the sponges will harden and shrink. It becomes quite scarily brittle but as soon as it tastes water, it will plump up and soften yet again. I don't like to leave my sponge to go dry, I found this to decrease its lifespan and reduce its effectiveness, so I retain a small amount of water inside the sponge and hang it to dry (without actually ever letting it dry). HoweverKonjac outlines the correct 'Use & Care' of their products, which apparently, I'm doing wrong, but I much prefer the results.

These sponges have become an essential part of my daily routine that give me an unmatched sensation of clear skin and liberation. 

Konjac Bamboo Charcoal and Konjac French Green Clay can be purchased online from The Konjac Sponge Company at £7.99 for one piece. 

No comments :

Post a Comment