Saturday 4 April 2015

Cleaning Oils: The Good, The Even Gooder and The Just Too Cheap To Really Be Included

I've done it, I've hopped on the double cleansing bandwagon and I am here to stay! Well no, that's not entirely true. I've jumped on the cleansing oils bandwagon, that can definitely stay and double cleansing is really super rewarding, so actually I'll let that one stick around, too.

I don't know why I never did cleansing oils sooner. The oil cleansing method leaves my face feeling truly purified. True pure. It's incredible how effective it is. It honestly does just dissolve make-up in front of your eyes. Which, yes, you can happily do as they are so gentle that I can gladly get oil in my eyes without any agitation

Cleansing oils are to be used like most regular cleansers. You simply dispense several drops into the palm of your hands and begin to massage it gently into your skin, starting in circular motions from the centre of the face, outwards. You'll feel any make-up, dirt and grime melt under your fingertips. Once finished, simply wash away all traces of the oil and follow it up with your favourite toner.

Double cleansing, is well, very self-explanatory. You cleanse your face twice. That is, just apply a cleanser to your face, twice. Apply oil cleanser then rinse. Apply milk/gel/cream/micellar water/whatever your normal cleanser is, rinse, then continue with your normal routine.  The first cleanse is to remove all make-up; a deep cleanse. The second cleanse is to pick up any of the slack the first cleanse might have missed out on. 

While I have never done oil before, I thought it appropriate to compare three different brands of varying price ranges to get to grips with quality and results. There's DHC's Deep Cleansing Oil £21.50 / 200ML, L'Oréal's Skin Perfection Miracle Cleansing Oil £7.99 / 150ML and Superdrug's Vitamin E Dual Phase Cleansing Oil £3.00 / 150ML.


____________________________________________________________________

I actually started in the middle price bracket with the L'Oréal Skin Perfection Miracle Cleansing Oil and I instantly fell in love. At first touch, I felt every foreign particle on my face crumble away in the mixture. When I first pumped the oil into my hands it was warm, it was delightful. It has, what I can only pin down as a peach-y scent. But the texture, the warmth and the smells make it an all-encompassing pleasure to use. 

The L'Oréal Skin Perfection Miracle Cleansing Oil also claims to help "rebalance skin's natural oil production". Admittedly, I didn't notice this. I did, however, notice that my skin texture was a lot smoother and brighter. I definitely appeared and felt clearer after using this product.
____________________________________________________________________

I jumped into the shallow end next with Superdrug's Vitamin E Dual Phase Cleansing Oil. That was a mistake. £2.99 for a cleanser that removes make-up, impurities, moisturises dry skin, defends against pollutants and prevents premature skin ageing (yup, check the description yourself), for less than three of my finest British pounds? Someone really missed a trick there with that mark up. Or it doesn't work. And it's most likely the latter.

This thing is just truly horrible to use. It's cold, it doesn't mix well, it doesn't wash off well and it stings my eyes. 

Looking at the bottle, you can see the separation between the oil and water, because oil and water don't mix together! So you shake the bottle well before use, but of course, they still don't mix together

I pour several drops of the solution into my palm, and it's always cold, that's the first disappointing part to this never ending problem of a product. When I apply it to my face, it kind of just sits there on top of my skin. It doesn't feel like it's actually applying to my face in any way, it's just sitting on top and getting pushed around a little. 

For removing eye make-up it's utterly useless. It stings if you get it in your eyes, so either close 'em real tight or don't bother with this product at all (I would suggest doing that last thing). 

When it comes to removing the product, I feel like I have a film of this horrible mixture still sitting on my skin. Enter the double cleanse, save the day.
____________________________________________________________________

Finally, I tried the luxury DHC Deep Cleansing Oil. Now this did blow the other contender(s) out of the... water/oil. Sometimes price is synonymous with quality, and this is that time. 

This is a real rich oil cleanser. Once again, I can feel a warmth and a weight to the product when I pump it into my hands. And it smells like real olive oil. Scrumptious.

It gets straight to work from first application, melting away any impurities from my skin and dissolving them in the mixture. Eye make-up is honestly removed in a single wipe. I can't believe how effective this is.

My skin texture feels deliciously soft after using this product. I'm so supple, so princess. It definitely nourishes my skin in a way I've never felt from a cleanser before. 


Deep Cleansing Oil scored Effective, repurchase and can be purchased from DHC for £21.50 / 200ML. Skin Perfection Miracle Cleansing Oil scored Effective, repurchase and can be purchased from L'Oréal for £7.99 / 150ML. Vitamin E Dual Phase Cleansing Oil scored Avoid and can be purchased from Superdrug for £3.00 / 150ML.

No comments :

Post a Comment