Saturday 3 October 2015

Burt's Bees Peach and Willowbark Deep Pore Scrub For A Very Scrubby Way To Scrub

If there's one thing I've said before, and it's one thing I'll continue to say again, Bee Conservation is so bloody integral to our survival, and it's one thing that should never go ignored. Burt's Bees production ethics are bob-on in terms of sustainability, conservation and partnering with charities to help maintain our bee populace (you can read about their policies here). 

What's more, Burt's Bees also avoid microbeads in their products, featuring natural alternatives instead, such as fruit and nut kernels, milled petals, jojoba beads and ground seeds. Microbeads are little plastic spheres that are too large to dissolve, making them a deadly pollutant as they are consumed by countless marine life. You can find out more about microbeads, alongside a list of products containing microbeads specific to your country, here.
Burt's Bees offer three different types of facial exfoliators, all of which I've purchased and all of which I love for different reasons. The Anti-Blemish Pore Refining Scrub (reviewed here) is the softest one of the group, using jojoba beads to exfoliate, this scrubs provides lusciously smooth and clear skin. The Citrus Facial Scrub (reviewed here) is a cakey little number that provides clear and balanced skin, using ground almonds to exfoliate. As for the Peach and Willowbark Deep Pore Scrub, I'd refer to this as the mastodon of the group. This really is a heavy-duty scrub. While I love it for my oily and congested skin, I'd always err on the side of caution if your skin is unsteady around a exfoliator that doesn't hold back.

This 100% natural facial scrub, uses nothing but the finely ground stone of a peach to - what we must refer to as fairly aggressively - exfoliate the skin. Now, this is indisputably heavy duty, designed for a skin type like mine, that has a quick cell turnover (an onset of which, a build-up of dead skin and clogged pores). Even I can only use this once every 2 weeks. 

While finely ground, the peach stone is still rather large and can very much be felt. As they aren't perfectly spherical, the stones can be almost sharp and gritty, their jaggedness is present as I roll them around my skin. For me, this isn't neccesarily a scratchy product, but it is something I can only apply with very little pressure indeed.

The ground stones are carried in a very lightweight and easily spreadable cream. This cream is thin, so thin in fact that it disappears as you begin to lightly scrub. This makes it quite a raw process, the cream is almost like a lubricant, to help you get purchase on the stones, allowing the peach do to its magic without impeding the process. 

With a name like Peach and Willowbark Deep Pore Scrub, you're going to expect some results. Well, if your pores are easily clogged like mine, I've found this scrub to very effectively 'empty' them, leaving me with a much clearer and smoother complexion. Any dark build-up that was trapped in my pores is removed, making my skin tone appear far more neutralised and all-round balanced. 
Interestingly, after watching Wild Organic Beauty's vlog recently (I know it's really late, but would you like to see my August favourites?), she mentioned that this scrub was far, far too aggressive for her face and instead used it as a foot scrub. I gave that a go myself, and you know what, she's onto something here! This product makes for a really effective foot scrub. Our skin here is usually a little tougher and if you're prone to hard or dry skin on your feet, this little gem might just do the trick. 

I do like this, I honestly do. If my skin is ever craving a heavy-going exfoliation, this is the scrub I can rely on. But once again, I would go on the explicit advice of your own skin. My skin can take a little brutality (product depending), or  it occasionally needs some tough love, so me and the Peach and Willowbark Deep Pore Scrub get on like a house on fire. Just be warned, this scrub pulls no punches. Effective, don't repurchase.

The Peach and Willowbark Deep Pore Scrub can be purchased from Burt's Bees for £11.49 / 170G.

No comments :

Post a Comment